Tuesday, September 15, 2026

How to Response When The Recruiter asks: “What was your previous salary?”

πŸ’° Recruiter asks: “What was your previous salary?”
Don’t let your old salary become the anchor for your next one.
❌ Don’t immediately give the exact number.
❌ Don’t get defensive with “I can’t share that.”
✅ Redirect the conversation to what the role is actually worth.
Try this:
πŸ’¬ “I’d prefer to focus on the compensation range for this role rather than my previous salary. Could you share what the budget looks like for this position?”
If they keep pushing:
πŸ’¬ “I’m happy to discuss the compensation range that makes sense for both of us once we establish fit.”
The goal is simple: get their range first, then negotiate from there. Don’t leave money on the table!
πŸ“Œ SAVE this for your next interview.
πŸ‘₯ SHARE with someone currently job hunting.
πŸš€ FOLLOW for career, finance, and life hacks that work.
#SalaryNegotiation #InterviewTips #CareerGrowth #JobSearch #salarytips 
Ross Franks - Cape Town Money Man


No comments:

Post a Comment